[Valid Atom 1.0]

sábado, 7 de junho de 2008

Clinton backs Obama and bows out

Hillary Clinton has told her supporters to unite behind Barack Obama as she suspended her campaign to become the Democratic nominee for US president.


Senator Clinton gives Barack Obama her backing

She was grateful to "all who poured [their] hearts into this campaign" and urged them to "take our energy, our passion" and help elect Mr Obama.

Barack Obama won enough delegates to effectively secure the nomination after the final primaries on Tuesday.

He will face the Republican presumptive nominee, John McCain, in November.

'Glass ceiling'

Mrs Clinton was given a huge ovation for her speech at the National Building Museum in Washington.

Aim high, work hard and care deeply about what you believe in
Hillary Clinton

She opened by saying: "This isn't exactly the party I planned but I sure like the company."

Mrs Clinton thanked the "18m of you from all walks of life" who voted for her.

She urged supporters to now ensure all their energy and passion was directed towards getting Mr Obama elected.

"Today as I suspend my campaign, I congratulate him on the victory he has won and the extraordinary campaign he has won," Mrs Clinton said.

"I endorse him and throw my full support behind him and I ask of you to join me in working as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me."

She added: "You'll always find me on the front lines of democracy fighting for the future."

Much of her speech focused on her fight to be the first woman president of the US.

Although she had not succeeded, she said there were now "18m cracks in the glass ceiling" preventing a woman from winning the White House.

She told her supporters to: "Aim high, work hard and care deeply about what you believe in."

Sphere: Related Content
26/10/2008 free counters

Nenhum comentário: