[Valid Atom 1.0]

quinta-feira, 13 de maio de 2010

'Lost' Dueling Analysis: 'The Candidate'



Lost

In which Jen and Liz contemplate the sadness of losing beloved characters, the age old battle between good vs. evil and the yet-to-come final 4.5 hours of "Lost." Read along, then join them at 2 p.m. ET for the "Lost" Hour live chat. In the meantime, visit "Lost" Central to brush up on your island back story.


Ladies and gentlemen, our candidates: Dr. Jack Shephard (Matthew Fox, left) and John Locke/MIB (Terry O'Quinn). (ABC)

Liz: "What makes you think letting go is easy?"

Jack's words to John at the end of tonight's episode are resonating with me because, like the rest of the "Lost"-watching nation, I'm in shock. We lost three main characters: Jin and Sun and Sayid. I literally have no words. You hinted in yesterday's "Lost" 5 post that we were going to lose a major character, but I don't think any of us expected tragedy of this magnitude.

On the positive side: I now know it is possible to simultaneously watch "Lost," take notes and cry like a baby.

On the analytical side: I think there can be no more ambiguity about the fact that MIB is pure evil. There is no gray area. There is no "maybe he's got some good in him and Jacob's got some bad." Nope, not buying it. MIB had the Losties (except Sawyer) and us utterly fooled. Wouldn't you agree?

Jen: He's definitely evil. How do I know? LindeCuse told Jeff Jensen so in a piece posted -- apparently as soon as tonight's episode ended -- to EW.com.

"There is no ambiguity," says Cuse. "He is evil and he has to be stopped."

Much more analysis after the jump...




Text "LOST" to 98999 to get The Post's latest "Lost" news -- and our weekly post-show dueling analysis -- sent directly to your phone.

Liz: Hmm, I hate to say "I told you so." So I'll just let it remain implied.

Jen: That line about letting go also resonates with us, I think, because we're all trying to let go of this show. And it's not easy, especially when we have to watch two characters we love -- who just reconnected, for heaven's sake -- drown to the tear-eliciting sounds of Michael Giacchino's score.

Liz: By the way, that Daniel Dae Kim interview I did last week is really on my mind. When I asked if he and Sun ultimately have a happy ending on the show, he replied, "It depends on your definition of happiness." Well, Mr. Kim, I can confidently state that the death of two beloved characters courtesy of some "Titanic" send-up -- characters who had just found each other after a long separation -- is definitely not my idea of happiness. In fact, it had me crying uncontrollably. Though, I do have one critique: Wouldn't Sun have at least once said, "Jin, you have to live. Ji-Yeon needs a parent"?

Jen: I totally had the same thought. Clearly our maternal instincts kicking in there. I think that's what Sun was trying to tell him when she kept insisting that he leave. But it was clear he wouldn't do it. Wherever Sun goes, Jin goes. And -- depending on how clearly she was thinking all this through, considering that she was drowning -- Sun probably knew Jin would never be able to live with himself if he just left her there.

Pretty heartbreaking parallel there to Charlie's death, which also took place under water and to that same piece of Giacchino music ("Life and Death"). And yes, I know that music is used a lot on the show, I'm just saying.

Liz: Sure, that music is used a lot, but still just as poignant. And, at this point, I think I've got some kind of Pavlovian response going: that music plays, cue my tear ducts.

Jen: It was definitely a powerful scene, although I still think Charlie's death was more elegantly handled and more wrenching, for a couple reasons. We were prepared through all of season three for Charlie to potentially die, but we were still holding out hope -- right up until Mikhail showed up with a hand grenade -- that he would somehow beat fate. Also, when Charlie died, it felt more final. In this case, we at least know Sun and Jin are still alive in our alt-narrative -- in fact, we saw Jin at the hospital, carrying flowers to Sun, right after their underwater demise -- so we can take some solace in that.

Liz: I dunno. I was pretty much inconsolable last night during the Jin/Sun death scene. Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones, but I don't remember experiencing the same level of heartbreak when Charlie died. Don't get me wrong, it was way tragic. But something about last night's watery death just really struck a nerve with me. And, I'm guessing, others. But no use debating this since we'll unequivocally, scientifically find out whose death was more moving thanks to our ranking poll (above).

Oh, before we forget we should mention that the finale has been extended by 30 minutes, so everyone make sure to update your calendars and DVRs because on Sunday, May 23rd, the episode will run from 9 to 11:30 p.m.

Jen: So, with the pre-show, the actual show and the Kimmel farewell, that's about six hours of "Lost" on finale night. Dang.

Liz: So maybe we should talk about why Mr. Evil is killing off the very people he said he needed to leave the island with him?

Jen: Well, I don't think MIB ever really wanted them to leave the island. As Jack said, he was just manipulating them to get them all in one spot and eliminate them. Why? Because then Jacob has no replacement or proxy. But more importantly, by conning everyone, MIB thinks he has brought out the worst instincts in a lot of our Losties, particularly Sawyer. They lied. They ditched people they made promises to. By acting according to their darker motivations, they proved MIB's theory: Man (and woman) is inherently bad and can't do anything to change.

Liz: Hrm. I had a different reaction.

First, I'm not convinced that what MIB did -- conning our Losties onto the sub and then trying to get them to off each other by making the wrong move -- did bring out the worst in them. Sawyer was actually the only one who -- all along -- didn't trust MIB. And when he pulled those wires out of the C4, he was trusting his instincts in the hope that he would save everyone, not kill them. And I can hardly fault him for not trusting Jack. What happened the last time he put his trust in Jack? Juliet died. So the guy was understandably wary. As for the rest: Sayid sacrificed/redeemed himself to save his friends, Jin refused to leave Sun's side and Hurley saved Kate's life by getting her safely to shore. So I'd say the exact opposite: Man has a great capacity for good and can, in fact, change.

Jen: Oh, I agree that man can change and do good. I don't think MIB is right. In his mind -- if a smoke monster can have a mind -- I think he believes that what he is doing proves his point, even if it doesn't. Does that make more sense?

Liz: Yep, that does. But, maybe we should talk about MIB's motivation. He's been lying to our Losties since episode one of this season. He doesn't need them to leave the island. In fact, it seems he needs them dead to leave the island. But, as hinted again tonight, there are apparently rules and he wasn't allowed to kill them himself. If nothing else, next week's Allison Janney-assisted mythology episode had better at least make those rules clear and let us know who it was who made those rules in the first place.

Jen: I have a feeling it will. **SPOILER AHEAD** We know that none of our core cast members are in it, and based on the preview shown tonight, it seems like there will be a focus on MIB and Jacob. I'm not sure how I feel about focusing on those two at this stage, but hopefully it will explain a few things. **END SPOILER** Maybe we should turn our attention to Jack and Locke.

Liz: Yep, on island and in sideways world both of them kept coming back to the phrase "trust me" tonight. Yet that trust wasn't really given in either story line, was it?

Jen: No, it wasn't. But before we even get into that, I just want to say, as we've said many times before, that Terry O'Quinn is spectacular. I loved every scene he and Matthew Fox were in tonight. Both of them were so moving, but especially when Locke could barely get out the words about his dad never walking or talking again -- wow.

Liz: Agreed. I think Terry actually boosted Matthew Fox's acting chops -- took him up a notch, so to speak. Both deserve a big "bravo," especially considering that they managed to penetrate my Jin/Sun sadness long enough to empathize with them.

Jen: Yes, but to be fair Fox was pretty moving all by himself when he walked into the water at the end there, looked to the sky and started sobbing. He thought they would all be okay. And it didn't exactly work out that way. But anyway... the trust issue.

In season one, Jack would not, could not, trust John. Now, in sideways world, Locke isn't willing to trust Jack. I think that's more a matter of Locke not wanting to fully recover because he can't stand the guilt of being able to walk when his father cannot. Which is a remarkable switcheroo considering that, in the previous narrative, Anthony Cooper was responsible for Locke's injuries and could not have cared less.

Liz: Yes, one of many switcheroos courtesy of sideways world. But again, it's just a well-executed parallel with the earlier seasons when Jack was the doubter. And, you're right, Locke can't stand that guilt, but I think it still goes back to trust: He can't trust the fact that perhaps this man (Jack) can deliver him from his guilt by removing him from his wheelchair. But since we're in sideways world...

I kept waiting for the moment when Jack and Locke would realize they knew each other from the island. I thought we were there when Locke was mumbling "Push the button" and "I wish you had believed me" in his sleep. But no. Then I waited for that moment between Jack and Claire when they opened that music box. But again, no. Instead, all we got were a series of "Oh, you were on that flight, too?" moments.

Jen: Yeah, all the 815 moments felt a little forced to me, particularly the one between Jack and Claire. I guess they all have to realize they are bonded by that, but it doesn't feel nearly as organic as the reveals of their interconnectedness in previous seasons. Re: John and Jack -- at the very end, when Jack told Locke "I wish you believed me," an echo of the note Locke left for Jack after his death in season five, I thought Locke remembered for a second. He had that moment of recognition look on his face.

Re: the music box -- that was almost the same one as Rousseau's.

Liz: Was it? I wasn't sure. I thought Rousseau's had a ballerina in it. I didn't manage to catch what the song was. Did you?

Jen: Rousseau's did have a ballerina, you're right. But the outside of the box looked very much the same. I am trying to track down the song. It sounded familiar but I could not place it.

Liz: It did sound familiar, but thanks to this "Lost" message board we know it was playing "Catch A Falling Star" -- which should be familiar, because we've heard it before. It's the same song Claire had asked Aaron's potential adoptive parents to sing to him.

Jen: And the same song, I think, Kate did sing to him. Actually, it's been used multiple times.

Liz: The thing is -- are we to take the music box as a significant clue or file it away as an inside joke, like Jack's Apollo bar?

Jen: The Apollo bar I am more willing to chalk up to inside joke. But the music box, no. Christian left it for Claire and remember, we don't know where Christian's body even is right now. So maybe this is his way of trying to get his two kids to remember the island somehow.

On another note, I can't remember if we've talked about Jack's hospital before. The name, St. Sebastian's, seems significant.

Saint Sebastian was a martyr who converted people to Christianity. In other words, he taught them about faith. Interestingly, one of the women he saves is named Zoe. He also, according to the story, converted 16 prisoners to the faith.

Anyway, I think that's a clue -- as if we needed another one -- that Jack is the one capable of making people believe, ultimately. Or at least he's supposed to be.

Liz: And, as already mentioned, John utters similar words ("I wish you had believed in me") in his sleep -- echoing the suicide note he left for Jack. Perhaps in a way Jack is finally believing in John Locke. Just in a different world. A different way.

Jen: Well, on the island, he most certainly is. When he cold-cocked MIB and tried to chuck him in the water after MIB said Jack had been given wrong information about needing to stay on the island, Jack defiantly declared "John Locke told me." That's the biggest vote of confidence Jack ever gave the guy.

Liz: By the way, I can't believe we haven't mentioned Bernard. Or, as my husband yelled out, "Nard Dog!" His role in tonight's show was interesting ... he almost seemed to be some kind of guide, helping Jack to find Anthony Cooper.

Jen: It seemed odd, as Jack pointed out, that Bernard remembered Anthony Cooper so well. Maybe he would remember that Locke and his dad were in a plane crash. That's unusual enough to bear noticing. But why would he remember the name Anthony Cooper, and give it to Jack?

Liz: Well, he would if he was placed in sideways world to do just that. Perhaps he's realized his island past and is, in some small way, helping to push these people together. Because, honestly, I can't think of why else he'd be so quick to compromise his doctor/patient confidentiality agreement. I mean, hello -- "Oh, you were on that flight, too, stranger? Cool, in that case, let me open my files to you."

So, to change the subject: Why does Charles Widmore have a list with only four names on it? Sawyer, both Kwons and Reyes? I think we all knew Kate had been crossed off the candidate list, but wouldn't Widmore's list also include Jack?

Jen: Yes, I found that confusing. The thing is, what is Widmore basing his list on? The cave etchings? Some special notification from Jacob? Because maybe Jacob specifically left Jack off the list so that Widmore, or anyone else, would leave him alone, thinking wrongly that he's irrelevant. Perhaps Kate's not on the list for the same reason. Although it does bear mentioning that, as our "Lost" blogging friend JOpinionated points out, the final four who came to shore tonight -- Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sawyer -- are the same four the Others captured at the end of the season two because their names were on a list.

Liz: I think Kate's not on the list because Evangeline Lilly is nothing but a brunette Katherine Heigl. At least based on the NY Mag Vulture interview in which she basically made it clear that she's, like, so over this show, above watching TV and doesn't give a fig for the story's mythology.

Jen: Well, wait a second. There was some debate in the comments on that post. I think you could read it as her being a bubblehead. Or you could read it as her being honest; I don't think she sounded like she was above TV necessarily. Whatever, not the time or place for a Lilly argument. Although, honestly, I am surprised I didn't hear you rejoicing when Kate got blasted in the shoulder.

Liz: Well, next time she gets shot in the shoulder, I'll call and screech into the phone. And that woman is apparently Rasputin, anyway.

Jen: When Jack brought Kate into the sub, and he and Sawyer both tended to her? Total flashback to season two, when Sawyer was similarly cared for by Kate and Jack.

Liz: Although I rejoiced all over again when they dropped her like a hot potato to tend to the bomb.

And since we're talking about the sub, it just occurred to me... where in the world is Frank Lapidus now? He was in the sub's main control room (or whatever that's called on a sub -- the bridge?) when it exploded. Did he make it out? Is his shirt intact?

Jen: He got knocked out by a flying steel door or something. But I wondered the same thing. I am thinking he's alive since no one mentioned his death, nor did we see a body. That means the only core people we lost tonight were Jin, Sun and Sayid, though all are still alive in the sideways flashes.

Liz: Three down on the island, though MIB isn't done and at the end of the episode he told Claire he was "off to finish what [he] started." I say we do the same and finish this at 2 p.m. in the chat.

Jen: Sounds like a plan. I'll bring some additional questions we didn't address here. Such as: What is the deal with Flocke's eye scar? It appears to have half disappeared and healed up ... just the effects of him being a corpse? And did anyone else think that when Jack woke up inside the boat on Hydra Island, he appeared to be in a coffin? Oh, and I'll also bring the C-4.

Liz: Not funny! Okay, maybe a little funny. See you there.











๑۩۞۩๑๑۩۞۩๑๑۩۞۩๑๑۩۞۩๑๑۩۞۩๑


LAST

Sphere: Related Content
26/10/2008 free counters