[Valid Atom 1.0]

domingo, 2 de outubro de 2011

Moammar Gadhafi : 'I'm stronger every day,' says Chavez

Reuters October 1, 2011Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said Saturday he was praying for Libya's deposed leader Moammar Gadhafi and also sent a message of solidarity to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad against "Yankee" aggression.
Chavez - who has inherited Fidel Castro's mantle as Washington's main irritant in Latin America - views the wave of uprisings in the Arab world as Western-led destabilization and has been a strong ally of Gadhafi.
"The Libyans are resisting the invasion and aggression. I ask God to protect the life of our brother Moammar Gadhafi. They're hunting him down to kill him," he said.
"No one knows where Gadhafi is. I think he went off to the desert . . . to lead the resistance. What else can he do?"
With a presidential vote looming for Venezuela in 2012, Chavez's opponents have leapt on his support for Arab strongmen - and friendship with Gadhafi - as a sign of autocratic tendencies. But he has been undeterred and also sent support to the government of Syria, which is fighting street protests.
The 57-year-old Chavez, who has led his South American OPEC-member nation since 1999, spoke at length in several public appearances on Saturday that were a further sign of vitality despite four sessions of chemotherapy for cancer treatment.
Earlier in the week, Chavez, who has shaved his hair and seen his face swell during chemotherapy, tossed a baseball in front of TV cameras to mock a U.S. media report that he was having emergency treatment in hospital.
"I have quite a surprise for those who want me dead and go round saying I'm in hospital, I'm paralyzed, I can't talk," he said.
"I keep getting better. I'm stronger every day."












LAST

Sphere: Related Content
26/10/2008 free counters

Nenhum comentário: