[Valid Atom 1.0]

quarta-feira, 11 de janeiro de 2012

#GASTRONOMIA: 100 cooking blogs for students




  • Budget eating
$5 Dinners – This blog is a great resource for college students who are on a strict budget and looking for cheap and easy meals to cook up after class. This site has a number of different sections like the “Coupon Database,” “Frugal Map,” “Printable Planners” and “Bargain Meal of the Week.” Recommended posts: “Tricia’s Meatball Subs” and “Raspberry Almond Pancakes.”
Blog of Cheap Cooking – “First I stayed home with my kids, so our income was cut drastically,” writes Ellen Ferlazzo. “Then we got divorced 13 years ago and I’ve been cooking as a single parent on a tight budget since then…I was inspired to start a cooking blog because I like to play around with recipes and frequently try new ones. My kids would ask me to make something I’d made before and I couldn’t remember what I’d done!” Recommended posts: ”Rosti Casserole with Baked Eggs” and “Carrot and Cilantro Salad with Mandarin Oranges.”
Budget Bytes – Blogger Beth M. has worked in the food service industry for years and also earned a Bachelor’s degree in Nutritional Science. “I was posting my recipes costs on Facebook because I was surprised when I actually calculated it out,” she explains, “people began asking for recipes so I decided to put it all in a blog.” Recommended posts: “honey wheat pizza dough” and “roasted chicken with root vegetables.”
Burp! Where Food Happens – “In 2007, my husband and I started the Burp! blog as a way to keep track of our recipes and record our thoughts about the foods we were eating,” explains Lori Fredrich. “Our core beliefs revolve around the creation of real food that nourishes both the body and the soul. So, we focus on cooking with local, sustainably raised, and organic food whenever possible…We also believe in cooking real food. Whole food. Food that some might call ‘inconvenient.’ We believe that every good thing takes effort, and we’ve embraced the notion that ‘slow food’ is the best food. If I had to boil everything down to one goal for the blog it would probably be: showing people that local eating is really possible in Wisconsin, regardless of budget…and that it really pays to focus on food and nourishment as a community building tool.” Recommended posts: “Lamb Burgers with Figs, Caramelized Onions & Blue Cheese” and “Making the Most of the Local Harvest: Bourbon Caramel Peach Cobbler.”
Cheap Eats - “Cheap Eats was originally conceived because I actually had to watch how much I spent on food,” writes the Editor. “A lot of people go through a phase like this in college, and the junk food / starving-student lifestyle that powers all-nighters tends to make it somewhat tolerable. But for some, the cheap eats mentality extends later into life due to economic or other factors. That’s where I am.” Recommended posts: “Making Homemade Gatorade” and “Home Fried Potatoes.”
Choosy Beggars – “The Choosy Beggars are Tina and Mike, a pair of life-loving amateur chefs and mixologists, just trying to get by on mortal salaries,” write the authors. “…They have dedicated a surprising amount of their time to the pursuit of delicious international cuisine at affordable prices, in the hope that they will rescue you from a life of frozen foods, and perhaps inspire you to culinary adventures of your own.” Recommended posts: ”Chicken Tikka Kebabs” and “Pub Night: Crispy Baked Onion Rings.”
DLYN – This site has a collection of complex yet frugal recipes, with an emphasis on cooking your food from scratch, preferably with locally sourced ingredients when possible. Donalyn will show you how to easily cook delicious food that beats anything you will ever buy premade in the store. There is also a shopping section so users can purchase kitchen tools mentioned in the posts, cookbooks, and photographic equipment via Amazon.com. Recommended posts: “Homemade Apple Sauce” and “Jalapeno Bacon Cornbread.”
In Praise of Leftovers – “This blog is for anyone who’s ever opened the fridge and been overwhelmed by what to do with its contents,” writes Sarah Murphy-Kangas on her blog. “It’s also about making do–seeing what’s around, rescuing ailing vegetables from the brink, taking advantage of simple things like dried beans or grains. And nothing makes me happier than finding a way to use all the random bits in my fridge.” Recommended posts: “Farfalle with Kale, Bacon, and Mint” and “Grilled Steak with Peppers and Chimichurri Sauce.”
The Official Ramen Page – “I do not have a professional background in cooking and I don’t cook that much myself aside from making ramen,” explains Matt Fischer. “I started the blog in college about 14 years ago (although it was not called a blog back then) because everyone in my dorm had some crazy ways to cook ramen and I wanted a place to document them. At the time I was also trying to figure out what to put on my homepage. In 1996, everyone had one and they were all useless, usually a list of bookmarks and a few pictures (if you had a scanner!), I figured that the Internet needed a ramen recipe page and my friends were the inspiration for the recipes.” Recommended posts: “Mama Pork Flavor Ramen” and “Super Spicy Indian Potato Curry Noodles.”
Poor Girl Eats Well - “I created Poor Girl Eats Well in August of 2008 as a fun way for me to share how I make it possible to eat quite well despite my limited means,” writes Kimberly A. Morales. “Poor Girl Eats Well is quite different from other blogs in that I try to make most of my meals as healthy as possible, with a sinful treat thrown in here & there for good measure.” Recommended posts: ”Recipe: Cannellini Beans, Broccoli & Tomatoes with Dijon Vinaigrette” and “Recipe: Tuna, Veggie & Couscous Salad.”
The Stone Soup – Blogger Jules Clancy is a Food Scientist by trade, and was inspired to start a cooking blog to “share and remember” her recipes. She also started an online cooking school (Stone Soup Virtual Cookery School), and posts numerous healthy/vegetarian as well as baking/dessert recipes. Recommended posts: “spice week: how to stock a minimalist spice collection”  and “18 tips for [minimizing] your food costs + a final $2 a day menu.”
Worth the Whisk – This blogger is a “longtime food pro” who has a passion for cooking “unpretentious [and] mostly frugal” recipes. She is also the winner of several culinary awards, and was the first recipient of the International Association of Culinary Professionals’ (IACP) “Food Communicator/Publicist Award of Excellence.” Recommended posts: “Baked Olives in Cheese Appetizer” and “Simple San Diego Sandwich.”
  • For the busy/learning student
1001 Recipe – By clicking on one of the recipes on this site, you can read up on its nutritional value, prep time, cook time, as well as level of difficulty. Recommended posts: “Blueberry Muffins” and “Shepherd’s Pie.”
Busy Cooks – From About.com, this site is full of recipes that need five ingredients or less. Some categories include “Fastest and Cheap Recipes,” “Easiest and Healthy Recipes,” or “Five Ingredients or Less.” Recommended posts: “Ravioli with Corn” and “Crockpot Teriyaki Pork Wraps.”
Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice – “My blog is mainly recipes of all kinds,” writes Reeni Marie. “I have lots of baking ideas and dinner recipes…I do try to teach people and give them tips to help them out in the kitchen. I am not a professional and started blogging after a tragic loss in my life. I saw another food blog that inspired me to start my own. It helped me take my mind off the pain.” Recommended posts: ”Coconut Almond Crusted Chicken with Couscous” and “How to Make Peanut Butter and Salted Caramel Cups.”
Cookin’ Canuck - This award-winning blogger has been featured in Canadian Living Magazine, CBSNews.com’s Health blog, Fine Cooking Magazine, and much more. Recommended posts: “Grilled Shrimp & Pesto Pizza” and “Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Cranberries & Pecans.”
Dragon’s Kitchen – “I like playing with recipes and creating interesting and fun menus,” writes Paula AKA “Dragon” on her site. “…I have also created some ‘Dragon’s Own’ recipes that I’m very proud of and I hope you’ll enjoy.” Recommended posts: “Spicy Bloody Mary” and “Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Milkshake.”
Healthy. Delicious. – “I started it as a place to keep track of recipes that I tried and liked when i was trying to lose weight,” writes Lauren Keating, who posts recipes that fall under numerous categories such as ‘Vegetarian’ and ‘Daring Kitchen.’ “As I became more confident in the kitchen, it transformed to to a place for me to share the original recipes that I created.” Recommended posts “Crab & Corn Chowder” and “Pulled Pork Macaroni & Cheese.”
Healthy, Easy Recipes – “I love to cook, [and I] love to try new recipes,” writes Andrea Haddon. “…people are always asking for my recipes and not a lot of my friends cook, so I decided to post them and I got a really good response. It has also helped me to make a log of the things I like to refer to when I meal plan! It’s been really fun!” Andrea also has “Student Friendly” and “Vegetarian” section on her blog, and regularly posts on cleanses and cheap recipes as well. She also describes desserts and baking as her “passion.” Recommended posts: “Beer Can Burritos” and “Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwiches.”
Hugging the Coast – Doug DuCap is the author of Knack Fish & Seafood Cookbook: Delicious Recipes for All Seasons, and is also About.com’s Fish & Seafood Cooking guide. “Hugging the Coast features 100+ of my own original recipes as well as spotlighted recipes from some of the best food blogs we’ve come across,” he explains. His blog not only contains various fish and seafood dishes, but also recipes from all over the world. Recommended posts: “Easy Orange Chipotle Shrimp Recipe (Fish For Friday Recipe)” and  ”Chipotle Honey-Lime Bourbon Salmon Recipe from the Kentucky Bourbon Cookbook.”
In Erika’s Kitchen – Erika Penzer Kerekes was inspired to start a cooking blog because she got tired of her mother saying ‘When are you going to write a cookbook already?’ “Also, I had virtually no family recipes handed down to me,” she explains, “mostly because my mom is a terrible cook. I did not want my kids to suffer the same fate.” Recommended posts: “Cheater’s chili“ and “Garlic knots, the ultimate comfort food.”
My Easy Cooking – Nina Timm grew up in a house with excellent cooks, and her posts reflect her passion for cooking. Her site is full of simple, easy recipes that any student could experiment with. Recommended posts: “Blueberry and Lemon Scones are perfect for a lazy weekend Breakfast” and “Butternut Gnocchi with Sage and Blue Cheese.”
QuickEats Plus - The simple format for this site could be useful for students who are hoping to whisk up a quick meal in between classes. The categories on this blog include “Seafood,” “Veggies & Starches,” “Soup-Salad-Appetizers,” “Desserts & Bakery,” “International Food,” and much more. Recommended posts: “Couscous Recipes That Will Move Rice to Second Place” and “Easy Slow Cooker Recipes – Prep Quick, Cook Slow, Serve Relaxed.”
Recipe Girl – Lori Lange is a former elementary school teacher who now spends all day creating and photographing recipes and food for companies, websites, and publications (such as Betty Crocker or Pepperidge Farm). Recommended posts: “Easy Taco Casserole” and “Pork Chops with Creamy Apple- Cranberry Sauce.”
Savour Fare - This blogger is a working mom who has a passion for writing about “accessible, user friendly and above all, delicious” recipes. She also writes a home decor and design blog called Savour Home. Recommended posts: “Easy Pie Crust and Maple Walnut Pie” and “Arnhem Girls — The Best Sugar Cookies.”
Zesty Cook - “I have been cooking since I was 8 years old with my Mom and have always loved it,” writes Cory. “I cook for my family, family functions and have always had a passion for it. I then wanted to share my passion through blogging and help others realize that cooking can be fun and rewarding.” Recommended posts: ”90 Second Cheesy Chicken Nachos” and “College-Friendly n’ Healthy Snacks.”
  • For the student who loves to cook
Annie’s Eats – Annie works as a resident physician, and originally started this job as a hobby. She started cooking while she was in college and writes that she decided to start her blog as a way to “chronicle my culinary adventures.” Recommended posts: “Sweet Potatoes with Sage Butter Crumb Topping” and “Linguine with Clam Sauce.”
Black Girl Chef’s White – “My blog is for everyone,” explains Cheryl D Lee, who is a a professionally trained personal chef, former culinary instructor and recipe developer. “…I do step by step photography of my recipes so anyone can follow along and learn.” Recommended posts: “Panko Crusted Fig and Cheese Stuffed Pork Chops,” “PFB #2 – Classic Chinese Scallion Pancakes” and “Mini Brie Stuffed Turkey Burger Recipe.”
British Larder – Madalene Bonvini-Hamel is a professional chef, food writer and restauranteur who specializes in seasonal British produce, and also has several recipe categories on her blog, such as ‘Vegetarian Recipes,’ ‘Breads & Bakery Recipes‘ and ‘Dessert Recipes.’ “The amount of times people asked me how to cook something has inspired me to start,” she explains. “I also have a passion for food photography and the urge to show people how I see food through a lens. My blog is about my culinary journeys as a professional chef and about my food memories.” Recommended posts: “Oven-Roasted Rump of Lamb with Baby Artichokes, Beet and Fennel Puree” and ”Lavish Lobster Macaroni Bake.”
The Hungry Mouse – This site is a perfect guide for students who are looking to try out new recipes that are made from scratch. Recommended posts: “Apple Pie in a Glass” and “Rustic Veal Flank with Whiskey Cream Broth.”
Inside the Kaganoff Kitchen – Depending on your level of expertise in the kitchen, some of these recipes may actually be fairly simple, but there are a few which require different ingredients and a little T.L.C. Recommended posts: “Braised Short Ribs” and “Smoked Turkey Corn Quiche.”
Matt Bites – This award-winning blogger is a former graphic designer and art director in the food industry. Two years ago he was invited to make his favorite cookie recipe with Martha Stewart on her daytime television show. Recommended posts: “Vegetable Crumble” and “Do All Cookbooks Need Photos?
Once Upon a Plate – Great photography, great recipes, and great food…this site has it all. Mari is a “long-time cook” who tends to improvise in the kitchen, and she has also cataloged some of her recipes in a printable format for her readers.Recommended posts: “Pan Seared Halibut with Huckleberry Reduction and Hazelnut Brown Butter Sauce” and “Ginger Beef or Chicken Patties with Lime Noodle Salad.”
Simply Recipes - On this site readers can click through a wide range of categories such as “Budget Recipes,” “Vegetarian Recipes,” “Low Carb Recipes,” “Quick Recipes,” “Gluten-Free Recipes,” and even “Mexican and Tex Mex Recipes.” Recommended posts: “Venison Sauerbraten” and “Rabbit Stew with Mushrooms.”
Smitten Kitchen – The recipes on this blog are generally “comfort foods [that are] stepped up a bit,” writes Deb Perelman on her site. “…things like bread and birthday cakes made entirely from scratch and tutorials on everything from how to poach an egg to how to make tart doughs that don’t shrink up on you, but also a favorite side dish (zucchini and almonds) that takes less than five minutes to make.” Recommended posts: “apple and cheddar scones” and “blue cheese and red potato tart.”
The Sophisticated Gourmet -  Kamran Siddiqi writes that on this blog readers won’t find recipes “with pretentious ingredients or expensive puff pastry,” and that the majority of ingredients can be found at any local supermarket or farmers market. Recommended posts: “jamaican beef patties” and “radish-dill tea sandwiches.”
Steamy Kitchen – Jaden Hair works as a professional recipe developer, food photographer, and food columnist. She has made appearances on The Today Show, ABC News Now and the CBS Early Show, and has also been featured in numerous publications. She also has a wide range of categories such as “fast,” “gluten free adaptable,” and “sweets.” Recommended posts: “Cedar Planked Mussels” and “Fall off the Bone Baby Back Ribs with Sweet Chili Sauce.”
Voodoo and Sauce -Heather Arndt Anderson previously worked as a botanist and natural resources consultant, and writes that her “culinary focus is on finding cross-cultural uses for individual ingredients.” Recommended posts: “Roasted Quince” and “Elk Chili.”
  • Sweet eating
Beantown Baker – “I got inspired to start a blog because I was collecting recipes and taking pictures of food for a family cookbook,” writes ‘the Beantown Baker; Jen. “Around the same time, I started following some cupcake blogs and thought what the heck, I can do this.” Recommended posts: “Depths-of-Fall Butternut Squash Pie” and “Oreo Cupcakes – Third time is a charm!
Cookies and Cups – The posts on this blog cover numerous recipes and tips related to anything sweet-related, such as decorating basics, breads, truffles, and much more. Recommended posts: “Cinnamon Toast Crunch Apple Pie Bars” and “Pop Tart Cupcakes.”
David Lebovitz – This blogger has been coined as one of the “Top Five Pastry Chefs in the Bay Area” by the San Francisco Chronicle, and has appeared on Gourmet Magazine’s Diary of a Foodie on PBS, the Discovery Channel, NBC’s Today Show, and Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. Some of his posts cover recipes from Ireland, France, and much more. Recommended posts: “Swiss Chard Tart (Tourte de blettes)” and “Plum and Rhubarb Crisp.”
Desserts for Breakfast – “I originally started my blog as a quick and easy platform on which to post pictures for dessert clients (I make wedding cakes for friends who ask nicely),” writes Stephanie S. Shih. “But then, I started getting requests for recipes, and the thing took on a life of its own!” Recommended posts: ”Cognac-Caramel, Pecan, and Pear Pudding Cake, oh–and Parties” and “Midweek Macarons: Cinnamon Apple Macarons with Apple Butter Buttercream and Tart Green Apples.”
My Kitchen Addiction – Although the majority of these posts fall under the desserts/baking category, this blogger also writes about other dishes such as appetizers, main dishes, side dishes, soups, and even beverages. Recommended posts: ”Pie Dough + Spiced Apple Hand Pies (WFMW)” and “Cinnamon Brown Butter Frosting (WFMW).”
Tartelette – This blogger previously worked as a Pastry Chef at a French restaurant, and currently works as a food photographer, food stylist, and food writer. Some of her many clients include Charleston Magazine, Syrup Magazine, Gibbs Publishing, and much more. Recommended posts: “S’ Mores Doughnuts” and “Honey Yogurt Mousse With Raspberry Coulis & Shortbread Cookies.”
Tracey’s Culinary Adventures – This site is an excellent resource for students who are looking for quick and easy dessert recipes. Not just limited to sweets, Tracey also posts main course recipes as well. Recommended posts: ”Apple Cinnamon Buttermilk Cake” and “Nutella Fudge Brownies.”
The Urban Baker – “I would describe my blog as a place to go when you want homemade food made with healthy, pantry ready ingredients,” explains Susan Salzman, who started cooking at the age of 7. “My blog is baking/dessert heavy, however in the past 6-8 months I have introduced much more savory dishes. The blog is always evolving and is at a place that I can be proud of…I had a very large, successful children’s furniture business that I had started in 1989 (Little Folk Art, Inc). About 6 years ago, I decided to down size in order to spend more time with my kids…Ultimately, my passion for most things culinary took over. Then my dad passed away. I was devastated. The blog was a cathartic escape in order to deal with my grief. I chronicled our life through our celebrations, my kids milestones and family meals. The kitchen, my camera and my voice became a way for me to show my kids who I really am. For me it has turned into a virtual cookbook, a catalog of my kids childhood, and I have found a community that is like no other!” Recommended posts: “Marie-helen’s Apple Cake” and “Banana Jam.”
  • International cuisine
Beyond Kimchee - Holly (Hyegyoung) was born and raised in South Korea, but currently lives in northern Virginia, and started her blog “to keep as [a] tutorial recipe book for my children to use when they grow up.” Some of the many categories on her blog include ‘Tofu,’ ‘Vegetarian,’ and ‘Seafood.’ Recommended posts: “Korean Soft Tofu Clam Stew, bring out the innocence in you” and ”Kimchee Bacon Fried Rice, embarrassingly simple.”
Cajun Chef Ryan – “I worked in the restaurant business for 21 years in many capacities, starting with culinary apprentice, sous chef, chef, chief steward, executive chef, sauté cook, food and beverage director, director of food and nutrition services,” explains Ryan Boudreaux. “The initial inspiration to start the Cajun Chef Ryan blog was begun in May of 2008 as a way to document and record my vast collection of documents, procedures, management techniques, restaurant operations, and recipes from 21+ years on the industry. With 300+ cookbooks in my library, binders, notebooks, and boxes of recipes and menus, the initial project was to transfer to digital format all my written documentation. The blog has grown into something more, and has evolved into something totally different that what I imagined in the beginning.” Recommended posts: ”Heavenly Hash Brownie” and “Shrimp, Smoked Sausage, and Grits.”
Deep South Dish – If fried, Southern comfort food is your cup of iced tea, then check out this site. Not only does this blog have Southern recipes that are made from scratch, there are also posts on numerous Italian, Asian, and Tex-Mex recipes as well. Recommended posts: “The Secrets to the Best Ever, Perfect Southern Buttermilk Biscuits” and “Southern Deep Fried Okra.”
Food Junkie Not Junk Food - “I started the blog because I really wanted to express my creativity while I was working as an Archaeologist for the Greek Ministry of Culture, a job that was really boring and tedious,” explains Johanna Dimopoulos. “There are many easy recipes for someone just starting to cook…with many Greek recipes and others from all over the world.” Recommended posts: “Pork “gioulbasi”’ and “Mini kebabs with two sauces.”
Indian Simmer – “Living in the US for the past few years I realized that Indian food and cooking is often conceived as complicated, spicy and mostly curry related food,” explains Prerna Singh. “Although in reality is much more than just curry. So that made me present the simple, easy and quick to fix side of Indian food and it also helps me get a platform to present another passion of mine that is photography.” Recommended posts: “A Simple Hindu Pooja Meal” and “Aloo Gobhi (Potato and Cauliflower).”
La Fuji Mama – Rachael has “eaten her way around the world,” and previously lived in Paris, Tokyo, Yokohama, Memphis, and Los Angeles. Her recipes are a “fusion of different tastes” all of which were influenced by the places she has visited. Recommended posts: “Miso Soup with Clams, Shiitake Mushrooms, & Wakame” and “Baklava Crescent Rolls.”
Little Corner of Mine – “What inspired me to start a cooking blog is the [desire] to share what I can create in my kitchen,” writes Jane Lim. “Creating a cooking blog is also my way of passing down my recipes for my two girls. I wanted them to know where to look for their mom’s recipe if ever they have a craving in the future.” Recommended posts: “Stir fried Spicy Cabbage” and “Chinese Style Green Beans & Happy New Year!
Lucullian Delights – This award-winning blogger was born in Uppsala, spent her childhood in northern Sweden, and now lives in Tuscany with her Italian husband. The recipes on her blog reflect her passion for Italian food and culture. Recommended posts: “Pasta with fennel roasted tomatoes and crispy prosciutto” and “A touch of Tuscany – Oven-baked Frittata with white beans, tomatoes, and sage.”
My Colombian Recipes – “This blog was created in February 2009 and was inspired by my grandmother, Mamita, who was an amazing traditional Colombian cook,” writes Erica. “I never saw Mamita cooking from a recipe. She made dinner from whatever ingredients she found in the kitchen. My hope is that people from other countries discover Colombian food and learn more about our culture and traditions. Cooking traditional Colombian food connects me to my culture and allows me to share my heritage with my American family.” Recommended posts:  ”Pandebono (Colombian Cheese bread)” and “Chuletas Rellenas de Manzana (Pork Chops Stuffed with Apples).”
My Kitchen Snippets - “I first created My Kitchen Snippets to keep my family update on my life here in the USA,” writes Gertrude Wan. “I am originally from Malaysia and being so far away from home I do crave of our local food. So that is only one of the reason for the birth of my blog. To record all my baking and cooking and also traditional Malaysian recipes there.” Recommended posts: “Ipoh Noodles Soup with Shredded Chicken/Ipoh Hor Fun” and “Angku Kueh/Steamed Glutinous Rice Cake with Sweet Filling.”
The Taste Space – “I love to share recipes that have worked well for me and this was a new way to expose my love of cooking with a wider audience,” writes Janet M. “Plus, I was no longer spamming my friends’ inboxes. I also really enjoy photography, so that has worked well too.” Some of the categories on this blog include ‘Mains (Vegetarian),’ ‘Desserts.’ Recommended posts: “Egyptian Bread and Butter Pudding (Om Ali)” and “African Pineapple Kale Peanut Stew.”
Tiny Urban Kitchen – “It began as a way for me to keep track of my mom’s recipes and also the restaurants I visited,” writes Jennifer Che, whose site has been featured on CNN. “Over time, it has grown to be so much more.” Recommended posts: ”Xian’r Lao Man [Beijing Dumplings]” and “A Pizza Tour of My Travels.”
What Katie Ate – Katie works as a professional food photographer and food stylist, and regularly writes about the Sydney and Australian food scene. She also writes about food packaging, markets, wineries, restaurants, and much more. Recommended posts: “Chicken Pot Pies & Beef Bourguinon” and “Raspberry Friands.”
Zoom Yummy – “A cooking and photography blog is a wonderful outlet for my creativity,” writes Petra. “I love presenting my recipes, my photography and give others some words of advice. [Blogging] is a great way to find new friends with the same hobbies as yours. Also, when blogging, you need to learn new things all the time. Isn’t that terrific?” Recommended posts: “Farfalle with Tomato and Cheese Sauce” and “Mulled Wine.”
  • Vegetarian/Specialty diet
BitterSweet - “I love experimenting in the kitchen, and sharing the results makes the experience so much more worthwhile,” explains the site’s author Hannah. “I learn by doing, and also by the feedback I get on the blog.” Recommended posts: “For the Sake of Dessert” and “Party Like It’s 5771.”
Celiac Teen – “Being diagnosed with Celiac Disease forced me to pay attention to what I was eating,” writes 17-year-old Lauren. “As I got healthier on the gluten-free diet, I wanted to share the joy I was finding in food! The blog was a way to do that, and it quickly became a passion.” Recommended posts: “Gluten-Free Pierogi” and “Gluten-Free Orange Cornmeal Muffins.”
FatFree Vegan Kitchen – Susan Voisin has been a vegetarian since 1988, and her healthy lifestyle helped her lose over 100 pounds. Her site contains more than 1400 low-fat vegan recipes which were sent in by readers and fans. Recommended posts: “Ridiculously Easy Vegan Buttermilk Salad Dressing” and “Basic Low-Fat Coleslaw.”
Gluten-Free Girl – This award-winning blogger appeared on the Martha Stewart Living radio show, and has been mentioned as a gluten-free expert in the Washington Post, Associated Press, Baltimore Sun, and many more. Recommended posts: “Zing Gluten-Free Power Bars” and “Trader Joe’s Whole Grain Drink.”
Green Kitchen Stories – This site has countless vegetarian/organic food recipes which also contain a minimum of sugar, gluten, and milk products.  Recommended posts: “Heirloom Tomato & Goat Cheese Salad” and “World’s Greatest Vegetable Lasagna!
Herbivoracious – Michael Natkin has worked in two restaurants as well as a farm kitchen, and his site is about “reinvigorating vegetarian cuisine with modern techniques and bold, authentic flavors.” Some of the numerous categories on this site include ‘Gluten-Free or modifiable,’ ‘Organic Food,’ ‘Baking,’ ‘Dessert,’ and much more. Recommended posts: “How to Plan a Vegetarian Meal by Answering Three Easy Questions” and “Shiitake and Morel Ravioli in Brodo with Gremolata – Recipe.”
Hyper-Nerdy Veganism – This blogger posts several pictures to use as a step-by-step tutorial for each vegan recipe to help readers in learning how to make easy and delicious vegetarian dishes. Recommended posts: “Black Bean Burgers” and “Lemon Poppy-Seed Muffins.”
Lisa’s Kitchen – This “veteran vegetarian” of 19 years posts countless vegan recipes, some of which have an emphasis on “spicy Indian dishes.” Recommended posts: “Sautéed Spinach and Cannellini Beans with Balsamic Vinegar” and “Mustard Roasted Adzuki Beans with Urad Dal.”
Loony Louzilla Lovegood Letters – This vegan blogger has a knack for educating her readers on how they can save money and eat healthy at the same time, vegan style. “I was inspired to start a cooking blog by the event Vegan MoFo, which stands for Vegan Month of Food and is based off of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month),” explains Elizabeth Ryan. “Instead of writing 1,000 words of a novel every day, participants blog about vegan food every day for a month.” Recommended posts: “The Cheap Vegan” and “Seitan Philly Cheezsteak.”
Madhuram’s Eggless Cooking - This blogger posts countless healthy, vegan, and eggless recipes, and also writes about the latest kitchen tools and gadgets. Some of the categories on this site include ”Egg Substitutes,”"Eggless Baking,” “Vegan Baking,” and “Healthy Baking.” Recommended posts: “Vegan Cranberry Nut Quick Bread using Flax Seed Meal” and “Almost Fat Free Brownies.”
Rawmazing – This blogger (Susan Powers) “resolved her health issues” and lost a considerable amount of weight after discovering the nutritional value of raw food. Her website was designed in a way to help readers “transition from the SAD (Standard American Diet) to the healthy, tasty world of raw food.” Recommended posts: “Raw Food Recipe: Spaghetti and “Meat” Balls” and “Raw Food Recipe Almond Flour.”
Simply Sugar and Gluten Free – “Nearly 6 years of living free of refined sugars and gluten has stopped my food cravings enabled me to maintain a 60+ pound weight loss,” writes Amy Green. “With some help, I gained awareness about my food patterns, realizing that I ate all day long. I learned how to plan my food and started eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day with nothing in between.” Recommended posts: “Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies” and “Upgrade Your Carbs!
Vegan Yum Yum –  25-year-old Lolo recently quit her “day job” to write a cookbook, and since then has appeared as a guest on the Martha Stewart Show. “I do my best to make vegan food tasty and appealing to vegans and non-vegans alike,” writes Lola on her site. “I’m not a chef, I’ve never been to culinary school, and I’m certainly not a professional photographer. I have a lot of fun pretending, though!” Recommended posts: “Chickpea Radish Hors d’Oeuvres” and “Cucumber Tea Sandwiches.”
  • Healthy eating
101 Cookbooks – “The premise this site was built on is best summed up in two sentences: When you own over 100 cookbooks, it is time to stop buying, and start cooking,” writes Heidi Swanson  on her site. “This site chronicles a cookbook collection, one recipe at a time.” Recommended posts: “Green Bean Slaw Recipe” and “Spicy Cauliflower with Sesame Recipe.”
Aggie’s Kitchen – “I have always loved to cook, and wanted to talk about food all the time,” writes Aggie Goodman. “I love sharing meal ideas, recipes, and just good food and blogging enabled me to do all of that!” Recommended posts: “Cranberry, Nut and Seed Spread” and “Baked Parmesan Zucchini Sticks.”
A Communal Table – Nancy Buchanan has been a Personal Chef for over 8 years, and is in the process of completing an AA degree in Culinary Arts and Nutrition. She has also completed courses at the Culinary Institute of America. “I cover a wide range of subjects,” she writes, “entertaining, make-ahead meals, one dish meals and menu planning advice and nutritional information where appropriate.” Recommended posts: “Salmon Noodle Casserole – a twist on a comfort food classic! and ”Chicken, Barley and Kale Soup.”
CakeWalk – Rebecca Gagnon classifies her blog as “healthy eating for the learning,” and also focuses on vegetarian and vegan diet recipes. “I decided to start my blog for two reasons,” she explains, “first, I was sending my food photography pics to several friends via email (with descriptions) several times a month, and they would tell me that I should start blog. Second, was that in the month I decided to start the blog, my uncle passed away in his sleep unexpectedly. It seems strange that that should influence me so much, but food was always important to that side of my family (My Mom’s side, of Mexican decent), and he was such a funny funny guy. I felt so sad about losing touch with the parts of my family that I grew up close with, and sad that he was gone at such a young age, partially due to healthy eating concerns and stress, that writing about food helped me feel a bit better about it.” Recommended posts: “Vegan Monday: Spicy Biriyani” and ”The Lahey Project (kinda…): Cauliflower Pizza.”
Cannelle et Vanille – Actress Gwenyth Paltrow recently listed this site as one of her top 10 favorite food blogs, and after scrolling through the recipes and photographs it’s easy to see why. Recommended posts: “Zucchini Blossoms” and “Strawberry, Apple and Buckwheat Crumble and a Salad.”
Deliciously Organic - “Before Carrie could see over counter tops, she learned to cook by following her mother around the kitchen. By the time she was eight, she was preparing complete meals, and as a teen, she worked at her mom’s much-heralded catering company in Dallas, Texas. When health problems led her to try organic, whole foods, she refused to compromise flavor. Not only did her health improve, the flavors did too. If you’ve heard about the promise of organic, whole foods, but need a little nudge to make the switch, Deliciously Organic will help you launch your own food revolution.” Recommended posts: “Gnocchi with Wild Mushroom Ragu” and “Back-to-School Lunch ideas and Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies.”
Essentially Healthy Food – “‘Essentially Healthy Food combines food styling techniques and healthy recipes to make healthy eating inspiring and fun,” writes Suzie Banks. “The majority of the recipes are gluten and dairy free and contain no added sugar.” Recommended posts: “Beef & Chestnut Stew” and “Warming Winter Vegetable Soup with Kale & Rosemary Pesto.”
FANNEtastic Food – “I didn’t really get interested in cooking until after college!” explains Anne P. “At first, I relied a lot on frozen meals and dinners out, but I knew that wasn’t the healthiest (or most cost effective) approach. Slowly, I started reading food blogs and cookbooks, picking up tips, and being more adventurous in the kitchen. I was surprised to find that not only was cooking easier than I’d thought, but it was fun, too! As I got more into cooking and healthy eating, I started having friends ask for my recipes – and thus, fANNEtastic food was born! I love writing and photography as well as cooking, so a blog just made perfect sense.” Recommended posts: – “Healthified Recipes” and “Reader’s Health Tips!
Gina’s Skinny Recipes – “I feature simple healthy recipes using real ingredients that are low in calories and fat,” writes Gina. “…I couldn’t find any good Weight Watcher recipes sites out there when I started counting points and I knew I could improve on what I did find…I try not to sacrifice taste just to get the points down as low as they possibly can go. For me it’s about the balance of good tasting food with healthy ingredients and keeping the points low, but not to the point that I’m hurting the flavor.” Recommended posts: “Spinach Lasagna Rolls” and “Petite Turkey Meatloaves.”
Green Lite Bites – Veronica “Roni” Noone was inspired to start her blog after she lost 70 pounds, and hopes to inspire others to learn how to cook by sharing her healthy food habits and recipes. Some of the many categories on her blog include “Vegetarian Ideas,” “Soup/Stew Ideas,” “Cookie Ideas” and much more. Recommended posts: “Green Tea and Tropical Fruit Smoothie“ and “Braised Cabbage.”
The Kitchen of a Runner – “The words “running foodie” describe me perfectly,” writes Matt on his blog. “Because of my love for running and cooking, I have developed a passion for healthy living…I hope with this blog that I can share my wisdom and love about running, cooking, and living a healthy life!” Recommended posts: “Bangin’ Salmon BLT’s” and “Breakfast Quesadillas.”
Kitchen Stewardship – What inspired Katie to start a cooking blog? “Becoming a parent led to healthier eating,” she explains, “then deciding I wanted to write a book led to the blog and even more healthy eating!” Some of the categories on her blog include ‘Upgraded Nutrition,’ ‘Natural Health‘ and ‘Science of Nutrition.’ Recommended posts: “The Comparison: The Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), GAPS Diet (Gut & Psychology Syndrome), and The Maker’s Diet” and “Fermented Cod Liver Oil: Our Experiences.”
What’s Gaby Cooking – “I wanted a place to share my recipes with my friends and family,” explains Gaby Dalkin, a personal chef who is professionally trained in classic French technique. “They we’re always calling to ask different things about different dishes so I wanted a place where they could go and have all the info they needed in one place.” The categories on this blog cover a wide range of recipes such as ‘Bakery‘ and ‘Dessert‘ or ‘Gluten Free‘ and ‘Healthy/Figure Friendly.; Recommended posts: “and “Burrata and Proscuitto Flatbread” and “Super Easy Spinach Artichoke Dip and a Winner!!
With a Side of Sneakers – “I was cooking all the time and experimenting in the kitchen to find recipes I loved and kept both me and my husband happy,” explains the site’s author Heather. “Eventually I started recording the recipes on a blog so I could remember them, and repeat my favorites – I was constantly forgetting what I’d made! Looking back at old recipes inspires me when I’m not sure what to make.” Recommended posts: “Sneaky Ingredients” and “Order Up! Homemade Skinny Hazelnut Latte.”
  • Student bloggers
17 and Baking –  This blogger is an 18-year-old journalism student who has a passion for documenting her adventures in the kitchen. “I started 17 and Baking when I was 16 (I like to say I was thinking ahead) after years of following over 40 other food blogs,” writes Elissa on her blog. “I admire everything from the writing to the photography to the recipes themselves and I wanted to be a part of the foodie community.” Recommended posts: “Rainbow Pride Party Cake” and “Soft Pretzels.”
A Chef in Training – “I have been writing this blog for about 2 ½ years,” explains Liz Abu Al-Saoud. “It documents my time in culinary school and now my time apprenticing. I’m going back to school for pastry in January and will continue to write about things.” Recommended posts: “Saturday, March 6, 2010” and “Monday, March 8, 2010.”
Braised Anatomy – “We are both lovers of the food, yet we are both on a pretty strict budget given the high cost of a medical education,” writes medical student Arielle Kanters. “Because of this, we find ourselves cooking at home far more than eating out. Over the past couple years, we’ve found that all this cooking at home has forced us to create some ‘specialty’ dishes that are pretty highly received by our friends and family. This love of cooking, eating and sharing dishes prompted us to begin our food blog. We saw it not only as a way to share our favorite recipes, but also as a means of keeping record of the things we make.” Recommended posts: “Vietnamese Omelets” and “Spicy Mayo.”
Burp and Slurp - “I started my blog Burp and Slurp initially as an eating disorder recovery blog,” writes Sophia Lee, who is currently studying at the University of Southern California. “I suffered from anorexia for about 5 years, and my blog was born during the turning point of my recovery. It was my means of chronicling the ups and downs of my recovery path, to hold myself accountable, to build a strong community of support, and to recover back my love for food and life. And so far, my blog has helped me achieve that all, and more. Now, I would like to think of my blog as a celebration of life, food, and people. Faith plays an essential core in my life (and recovery), so I do talk about my faith at times.” Recommended posts: ”Sexiest Dessert to Impress a Girl” and “A Lab on Beer.”
Christina EATS. – ““I have always enjoyed cooking for and eating with friends and family (or even just myself sometimes) and started this blog to share and exchange ideas with them and fellow bloggers.” writes Christina P. “I am especially interested in ‘cheap eats’ and budget recipes as a student, and also healthy eating/cooking without compromising taste and creativity. I also love food photography and trying out new restaurants in the Boston area and beyond.” Recommended posts: “ricotta and grant achatz. {science & cooking}” and “adventures in science & cooking {cameraphone pic of the day}.”
Diamonds for Dessert – “My interest in baking really didn’t start until the beginning of my freshman year in college,” writes Susan S. “Right when I started baking, I realized that it was a great way to deal with stress from school; there’s really no better form of meditation than kneading bread dough. In addition, I loved how creative baking can be, whether it’s unusual or exotic ingredients used or the way the final dessert is styled. On the other hand, every baking process is also like a science experiment, very precise in measurements, with interesting chemical reactions in each step. Baking was my way of combining my love for art and science. I wanted some way to document my baking projects, so I decided to start a blog. With blogging, I could share my ideas and processes with others all over the world through my photography, drawings, and writing.” Recommended posts: “Glee Cookies!” and “Stained Sunglasses Cookies.”
Eats Well With Others – “[My blog is] part healthy/eating, part desserts/baking and part student-oriented as I do write a lot about med school,” explains Joanne Bruno. “I started cooking in college when I started to eat healthier and realized just how terrible dining hall food was. At the time, I was reading a lot of cooking blogs for inspiration about what to cook. One day I just woke up and said, hey, I can do this too.” Recommended posts: “Carrot, Dill, and White Bean Salad” and “Symon’s Crab Tater Tots on a Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Warm Cider Vinaigrette.”
Evil Shenanigans – “I started Evil Shenanigans as a culinary school diary,” writes Kelly, a part-time culinary student who is currently working towards an AAS in Bakery-Pastry. “My friends started asking for recipes, then they asked for pictures and it has evolved from there…I bill my blog as a ‘recipe blog’ since my primary focus is recipe development.” Recommended posts: “Chocolate Chip Overload Cookies” and “Banana and Chocolate Mascarpone Crepes.”
Lingbo Li – “I had been writing about restaurants for awhile and felt embarrassed that I couldn’t actually, well, make anything,” writes Lingbo Li, who writes about a variety of cheap, healthy, and easy recipes while studying at Harvard College. “Once I got access to a real kitchen, I went to town and experimented with a few cuisines. I like making offbeat things that are extraordinarily easy to make but have a big flavor payoff. Coconut curry is an easy, weeknight favorite. I also like challenging myself – I once threw a dinner party that was almost entirely offal-based. So I cooked up tripe, sweetbreads, pork belly, ox tails, and all kinds of things. There’s still a frozen beef heart in my freezer.” Recommended posts: “How to read a recipe” and “The Beauty Pageant Diet.”
Monique’s Patisserie & Baking Experience – This blogger is a former Patisserie and Baking student from Le Cordon Bleu, and is currently practicing Patisserie at Sucré in New Orleans. Recommended posts: “French Macaroons Recipe” and “Finding my Externship.”
Poires au Chocolat – “I lived in catered accommodation without a kitchen in my first year at university and realized how much I missed cooking and how important it is to me,” writes Emma Gardner. “I started my blog to document my experiments and to interact with the blogging community.” Some of the various ‘sweet eating’ recipes you can find on her blog include cakes, biscuits, cookies, buns, ice creams, sorbets, sweet tarts, and much more. Recommended posts: “Whisky and Dark Chocolate ‘The Beautiful and the Damned’ Cake” and “Amaretti and Raspberry Muffins.”
Small Town Oven – “I had been reading several blogs for awhile and several friends began encouraging me to begin blogging about my experiences in the kitchen,” writes Sharlene Sanidad, a recent college graduate who is currently in medical school. “On a day when I didn’t particularly feel like studying and my boyfriend had made me an adorable omelet with a smiley face made of ketchup, I decided to start Small Town Oven.” Recommended posts: “Blueberry Applesauce Muffins” and “World Peace Cookies.”
The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur – “I became vegan my freshman year of high school and really got into cooking and baking,” explains Kelly Peloza, an art school student who is also the sole blogger of Seitan Beats Your Meat. “I then found all the networks of vegan food blogs on the internet and decided to start my own!” Recommended posts: “Milwaukee’s Vegan Cookies: East Side Ovens Molasses Cookie” and “Milwaukee’s Vegan Cookies: Beans and Barley, East Side Ovens (again).”







LAST







Sphere: Related Content
26/10/2008 free counters

Nenhum comentário: